Learn How to Rock Climb
By Stewart Green, About.com Guide
Let's Go Climbing! Learn All About Climbing
Let's go climbing! Learn here what climbing is all about. Learn about the various types of climbing. Learn why climbers chase the thrills of the vertical world. Learn why climbing is both fun and challenging.
Beginner's Guide to Climbing
Learn how to climb by following this beginner's guide to climbing in an indoor gym. Learn what equipment you need, how to tie into the rope, how to belay your climbing partner, the basic climbing movements to reach the top, and finally, how to safely lower back to the ground.
- Learn How to Climb: Your First Time Climbing
- Learn How to Climb: Gearing Up
- Learn How to Climb: Tying Into the Rope
- Learn How to Climb: The Basics of Belaying
- Learn How to Climb: Climbing Up a Wall
- Learn How to Climb: Lowering Back Down
If you're going to go rock climbing, then you're going to need some basic climbing gear. Check out all these articles on essential rock climbing equipment, including rock shoes, your harness, belay and rappel devices, climbing ropes, helmets, and the necessary gear for top-rope climbing, sport climbing, and bouldering.
- Which Rock Shoes Should You Wear?
- How to Buy Rock Shoes: 10 Important Tips
- 3 Tips to Take Care of Rock Shoes
- Which Climbing Harness Do You Need?
- Parts of a Climbing Harness
- All About Belay and Rappel Devices
- Your Rope is Your Lifeline: All About Climbing Ropes
- How to Take Care of Your Rope
- Wear a Climbing Helmet
- Essential Top-Rope Climbing Equipment: Everything You Need
- Here's What You Need to Go Sport Climbing
- Essential Gear for Bouldering Fun
Knots for Climbing
Learn all the knots you need to know when you go rock climbing. Follow clear step-by-step photographs to learn how to tie the knots correctly. Knots include friction knots, knots for rappelling, knots to tie into a climbing rope, hitches, and knots to tie ropes together.
- All About Climbing Knots
- 6 Important Knots: All the Knots You Need to Know
- The Best Tie-In Knot: How to Tie a Figure-8 Follow-Through Knot
- 4 Friction Knots for Climbers
- How to Tie and Use an Autoblock Knot for Rappelling
- How to Tie and Use a Prusik Knot for Ascending a Rope
- 4 Essential Knots to Tie Rappel Ropes Together
- All About Stopper Knots for Rappel Ropes
- Why You Should Use Stopper Knots: An Accident Analysis
Climbing Skills and Techniques
Rock climbing requires a lot of different skills and techniques. Learn about top-rope climbing, sport climbing, traditional climbing, speed climbing, and bouldering. Learn here how to belay; how to face climb and jam cracks; how to place gear and set up safe anchors, all the right climbing commands to communicate, and how to rappel off cliffs.
- Your First Time Climbing: What to Expect
- Moving Over Stone: Learn Climbing Movement
- Top-Rope Climbing Basics
- Learn the Skills to Go Sport Climbing
- All About Bouldering: Climbing Small Rocks
- How to Safely Rappel Off Cliffs
- Free Climbing and Aid Climbing: The 2 Faces of Rock Climbing
- Using Climbing Commands: Voice Commands Keep You Safe
- Climb Fast Climb More: How Speed Climbing Makes You Better
- Building a Safe Anchor: 3 Basic Skills to Know
- Learn How to Rappel: 6 Essential Rappelling Skills
- 3 Types of Climbing Faces--Slabs, Vertical, and Overhangs
Climbing is dangerous. No matter how much fun you're having, things can go wrong. Learn how to do everything you can to stay safe when you're on the rocks and to take responsibility for your personal safety. Learn about sport climbing safety and top-rope climbing safety. Learn how to avoid lightning strikes during thunderstorms and heat illnesses in the summer. Learn how to rappel safely and to avoid loose rock.
- Safe Climbing is Your Responsibility
- 10 Tips for Safe Climbing Adventures
- Sport Climbing Safety: What You Need to Know
- Top-Roping Safety: The Serious Business of Top-Rope Climbing
- 15 Tips to Avoid Loose Rock